Friday, September 6, 2013

Servanthood

Lately, my husband and I have been going through a daily bible study on servanthood. The study in itself always seems so basic, but the " ah ha!" moments sneak up on me later that day. So I would like to share some if what has hit me hard lately.


Servants of the Lord should be humble, obedient, and act out of love, not obligation. I wish more people would understand that it's about what you can do, not what you can get. After voicing this, I had several responses about never should I be a servant because people will use you. And I say, let them use me. Because if my heart is full of love and servanthood, how far greater my blessing than a person who takes advantage of you. Let God deal with those people,because he is a just God that is faithful to his servants.

" do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interest of other" philippians 2:3-4

I find this particularly interesting because it clearly does not say " only look out for everybody else". No, it says to also look out for yourself, keeping in mind others interests too. That says boldly that you don't have to be walked upon. And I will leave it at that.

1 Corinthians says that you are bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. We become slaves when we engage in that gossip from our coworkers, or when we let others actions hurt  our feelings. We become bondage when we let our thoughts slip, or our words. When we give into hate. Don't give others the benefit of making you a slave of the world. If you are not a slave for christ, then by default you are of the world. God knows I fall daily in this.

Serve him with a whole heart and a willing mind. By submitting to servanthood, you allow God to open your mind to his will. And when you open your mind to his will, he will literally knock your socks off sometimes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment