Monday, July 29, 2013

God Guilt vs. False Guilt

We all suffer from guilt. Sometimes it's because we said something stupid in front of somebody else. Sometimes it's that we forgot to get the dogs water before leaving the house. Maybe you have an infant that cries constantly and you've had the "what if" thoughts. Especially if you are a parent, you probably understand most of the world's guilt. We have guilt over what we should have done, what we shouldn't have done.

It was recently brought to my attention that their are two kinds of guilts. There is the guilt from God that is utilized to lead your heart to the will of God. Anything other than that is False Guilt- it's guilt intended to derive you from the will of God. So when I feel guilty because I offered a funny comment that ridiculed another, adding to the notion of gossiping- that is God guilt designed to conform my will to the truth- to whatever is right and noble. When I feel guilty because I forgot to read my bible today- that's God's guilt to correct your behavior- to lead you to the truth, whatever is right and noble.

But when I have guilt because my body isn't cooperating and I can't provide my husband with a child- that BY FAR is false guilt. I have no reason to feel guilty over this, but I do. And it's designed to turn my heart away from what is true.

When I have guilt because I forgot to leave a clean towel in the bathroom for my husband to use- yes, it would have been nice, but it is not guilt that I should dwell over.

Too often, especially us women, kick ourselves for the shoulda coulda woulda's. We feel guilty over little things, and God wants us to know that those don't matter. If they are not intended to lead you to the right cause of God- they are false.

So what have you felt guilty about lately? Do you have false guilt in your lives that you need to allow God to take from you? You gain no outcome from false guilt, but you gain a step closer to God's will when you allow God's guilt to tune your will to his.

No comments:

Post a Comment